WASHINGTON, March 23 (Reuters) – The Hamas militant group is responsible for the renewed fighting in Gaza after rejecting efforts to move forward with what had been an “acceptable deal,” U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff said on Sunday, even as he said he would be open to new outreach.
“So this is on Hamas. The United States stands with the state of Israel,” Witkoff told Fox News Sunday. “Hamas had every opportunity to demilitarize, to accept the bridging proposal.” After weeks of relative calm in the Gaza Strip, following a ceasefire deal reached in January, attempts to agree an extension of the halt in fighting stalled and Israel resumed its air strikes and deployed ground troops in areas across the strip. Source :
Reuters
